Two fans of Doctor Who, one marathon viewing of every episode of the series from 1963 to the present.

Running through corridors is optional.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (1966)

Harry -
Not sure how I feel about this one. It was big and shiny and noisy, but I found myself checking the clock through most of it. That is, when the over-the-top musical score wasn't drowning out my own thoughts.


Sarah -
Sorry, I couldn't hear you over that groovy score.

I have to admit that I started nodding off about 20 minutes in. It's, well, a little dull whenever there isn't a red dalek on screen to distract one.



Harry -
I do love a Red Dalek.


Sarah -
I take back everything I said about this Susan being better. She causes just as much trouble as the other one -- crashing beams to the ground and all.


Harry -
You've hit upon the problem with these films. It's a bunch of slightly (or entirely new) characters doing familiar things (or things that are entirely new). The result is a loud, colourful mish-mashed jackalope of a thing.

Anyway, let's get to the good stuff:

PC Tom Campbell, what a joy. Bernard Cribbins plays an everyman caught up in the bizarro world of Doctor Who. And instead of playing it as a buffoon as was "Ian" in the previous film, he manages to lend some weight to the role. He's not just stumbling into things for laughs, he's stumbling into things whilst trying to survive a dire situation. I found a difference, anyway.



Sarah -
Who knew Wilf was holding out on us? Much better than the bumbling so-called Ian – and, as a bonus, quite dishy!


Harry -
The Gold Dalek. Wowwwww! (insert various drooling / bouncing / humping smileys here)


Sarah -
You need one for your collection.


Harry -
One performance that really stood out was Philip Madoc as the back-stabbing collaborator, Brockley. I love the way he speaks, and we have much to look forward to from him in real Who to come!


Sarah -
So much towards which we can look forward. He brought more to his role than most of the rest of the cast put together.


Harry -
That, unfortunately, sums up the good for me.


Sarah -
You were generous, My Dear.


Harry -
The bad, let's just get to it:

The music score was overwhelmingly intrusive. Too loud, too abrupt to shift gears in mid-scene, and generally annoying.



Sarah -
I’m sure I missed entire scenes of action because I couldn’t concentrate with all that racket going on. You know what I missed? That long, wacky chase around London. It would have at least worked with the clamorous music.


Harry -
The Doctor's niece? Louise?? What???


Sarah -
Apparently, the Who family tree has many branches.


Harry -
Generally, the story raced along without developing any of the characters we are familiar with. The newly created characters were barely given anything to do. Overall, it was loud and colourful, but I just didn't like this!

My biggest disappointment here was the attempt to re-create one of the most iconic moments in Who to that point (and we all knew it was coming): the emergence of a Dalek from the Thames. Instead of a slow reveal, this Dalek practically waterskiied out of the water, barely giving the Doctor any time to register a reaction. Augh. I'm just glad this is over and we can get back to the real goods.



Sarah -
Talk about a wasted opportunity! Actually, that describes most of this movie, so let’s move along. There’s nothing for us here!


Harry -
I miss the old Who!

Lasting image: the funky dual-rotation Dalek spaceship

Favourite moment: The end credits (bit harsh?)

Best line: Bernard Cribbins assigning himself an OBE, 45 years before it actually happened!

5/10


Sarah -
Lasting image: Cribbins on the bench with the Robomen

Favourite moment: The Robomen-fix-themselves-a-spot-of-tea scene was awkwardly amusing

Best line: Bernard Cribbins’ OBE line made me giggle!

4/10




 




Our proper marathon returns with Story #17 - The Time Meddler...

No comments:

Post a Comment