Two fans of Doctor Who, one marathon viewing of every episode of the series from 1963 to the present.

Running through corridors is optional.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Story #18 - Galaxy 4 (1965)

Sarah -
Season 3! My how time flies!

I have to admit, I’ve been terribly spoiled by all the complete stories we’ve been watching. It’s been a while since we’ve had a recon and I’m afraid it’s interfering with my enjoyment. It doesn’t help that the video was interrupted every other minute for an ad.

On the upside, I always love glimpses of life aboard the TARDIS. Vicki giving Steven a haircut is so homey. And Chumbleys are cute.

Otherwise, Drahvins…blah, blah, blah…Rills…blah, blah, blah. BOR-ING!!!!!!!!!!!



Harry -
Wow, this was dire from the get-go. My own viewing notes include the word "BOOOORING!" in all-caps.

How boring was this? So boring that when Steven had a long lie-down for most of the third episode, I was jealous of him.



Sarah -
I feel much better knowing it wasn’t just me. Even the actors seem bored.


Harry -
Numerous factors marred the viewing of this story. Normally I don't mind the recons, but the scarcity and repetition of story images made for a very weak collection of stills to stare at. The sound quality is very poor, making the dialogue hard to understand at times.

The story itself is a crashing bore: How to Bludgeon the Viewer With a 'Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder' theme for four episodes using no subtlety. Oh dear, I did not like this at all!

And another thing that irked me: there's a moment where our heroes are watching the TARDIS scanner, observing as a Chumbley chumbles around outside the TARDIS. HOW CAN THE TARDIS VIEW ITSELF ON ITS OWN SCANNER?

Oh dear, oh dear.



Sarah -
I’ve been desperately trying to figure out favorite images, moments, etc., but I just don’t think they exist.

Oh, wait, Vicki had a good line: “I noted, observed, collated, concluded, and then I threw a rock.” Good work, Vicki!

There it is, and now I’m off to do some summery outdoorsy things.

2/10



Harry -
I have not got much else to say about this story either. The surviving images and audio don't lend it many positives. You're right, everyone sounds really bored, other than the mellifluous Rill.

Lasting image: the Chumbley chumbling around the TARDIS.

Favourite moment: the Rill reveal, only because something HAPPENED.

Best line: I can't think of anything but the Chumbley sounds!

Let's get back outside.

3/10



Sarah -
Three?  You're so generous!


Harry -
Could be sunstroke?




Our marathon continues with Story #19 - Mission to the Unknown...

No comments:

Post a Comment