Two fans of Doctor Who, one marathon viewing of every episode of the series from 1963 to the present.

Running through corridors is optional.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Story #28 - The Smugglers (1966)

Sarah - Well, here we are in the fourth season and at Hartnell’s penultimate story.

Unfortunately, the low quality of the soundtrack and still images really got in the way of my enjoyment of this story. I had to read a summary to be able to follow what was going on at some points.



Harry -
It seemed odd that a pirate adventure would be so unheralded in the Whoniverse, but watching the recon, I realized why. There's an awful lot of talking, and what little action footage there is has been lost.


Sarah -
It seems that quite a bit is going on in the action sequences, but who would know.


Harry -
It takes a long time to get to those sequences. By then, my interest had waned.

"The Smugglers" started off well, with stowaways Ben and Polly marvelling at the TARDIS and where it had taken them. The Doctor is bemused and happy to have company. I don't think he likes being alone.



Sarah -
When the Doctor says, “I really thought I was going to be alone again,” it's clear that he's happy to have them along. Polly and Ben are really quite smashing in this story. I like how they think they're just going to pop over to the station and get a train back to London. In for a bit of a surprise, aren't they?


Harry -
I love the normalcy and sense of fun that they convey after Dodo's weirdness.


Sarah -
The Doctor had some fun going along with their delusion. Nothing like messing with the newbies, I guess. I don't know if it was having to rely on sound without images, but Hartnell seemed to be doing more of his hooting than he has in recent stories.


Harry -
The Doctor certainly likes Earth, and the TARDIS does too. The old girl has brought us back again, this time to the beaches of 17th century Cornwall. Can't really see said beaches, but we can hear the sea at any rate.


Sarah -
It's a pity we don't get to see the footage of gorgeous Cornwall.

So, we meet Joe Longfoot, reformed pirate and keeper of secrets. As soon as Cherub showed up and killed Joe, I knew we were in for yet another mistaken-identity-the-TARDIS-crew-must-be-the-killers trope...and it made me want to lie down for a bit.



Harry -
It really is a story about concealing one's true identity. Starting with Polly-as-a-young-lad, the Doctor who tells the ex-pirate that they are travellers, Captain Pike who assumes the mantle of merchant gentleman, the rapacious squire who puts on airs, and so on.

And there's the problem I had with this story. It was screaming out to be an action adventure, but we got a lot of scenes of clever dialogue for too long.



Sarah -
Some of Polly and Ben's dialogue was a little too exposition-y for my taste. The role of the companion is to ask questions so the Doctor can explain everything to us. There were too many scenes of Polly and Ben explaining what was going on. It should have been helpful, given that we have no footage, but I just ended up feeling like I was watching an episode of Scooby-Doo.


Harry -
About midway through the story, I started getting annoyed with Ben (you'd think it wasn't possible!), the way he kept whingeing about getting back to barracks. What a way to flatter a girl! Polly must have felt like an old shoe.

Captain Pike was probably my favourite character in all of this. So full of himself, yet so transparent. Such pretensions, and such cruelty all in one package. I don't think we've seen a villain commit cold-blooded murder since Johnny Ringo back in the old west -- or is that, in the new west to come? Wibbly wobbly timey wimey...

I liked Josiah Blake too, the King's revenue officer with an almost fanatical sense of duty. He played it dead serious, but always on the verge of becoming a parody like the squire.



Sarah -
Did you recognize John Ringham, who played Tlotoxl in The Aztecs, as Blake? That man had presence, didn't he?


Harry -
Ohh! I did not know that! But I can totally see the presence and intensity carried over from one character to the other. Well spotted, Toby!


Sarah -
Oh, that may just be the nicest thing you've ever said to me!


Harry -
Overall, this story really is a mixed bag. Disappointing, to be honest.  At least the Doctor has some fun doing card tricks and fulfilling his moral obligations.


Sarah -
Oh dear, I seem to be out of things to say. Let's go to wrap-up.


Harry -
I agree, this review -- like the story being reviewed -- started with such enthusiasm, but ultimately we seem to have gotten bored with the whole thing.


Sarah -
Lasting image: The TARDIS on the rocky coast

Favorite moment: The Doctor letting Polly and Ben look for the train station.

Best line: "You may know where you are, my dear, but not when! I can foresee oodles of trouble!"

3/10



Harry -
Lasting image: Cherub's churlish faces.

Favourite moment: That random, Pythonesque moment when Josiah Blake falls from his horse and we never hear about it again.

Best line: "Sawbones! King Neptune's curse! Ye've laid a trap, and by that you DIE by the Pike!"

4/10




 



Our marathon continues with Story #29 - The Tenth Planet...

No comments:

Post a Comment