Two fans of Doctor Who, one marathon viewing of every episode of the series from 1963 to the present.

Running through corridors is optional.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Story #50 - The War Games (1969) - Episodes One to Five

Harry -
Oh my word!

After the crawling drudgery that was "The Space Pirates", we find the Doctor and his friends thrust into a pulse-pounding, nerve-wracking adventure in which the stakes keep getting ratcheted higher and higher. After five episodes of "The War Games", I need to catch my breath!



Sarah -
Let there be no doubt, Harry, this is war!

Which, frankly, is a little refreshing after the recent unpleasantness.

It’s hard to believe it all begins with the TARDIS crew laughing at Jamie stepping in a puddle of water.



Harry -
So fitting that the Troughton era ends with one more cheery opener as our friends step out of the TARDIS.


Sarah -
Our friends soon find themselves, in rapid succession, face to face with a British ambulance driver, two German soldiers, and an English regiment during World War I, only to end up in a trench. And still, it's better than "The Space Pirates"!


Harry -
From said trench, the Doctor, Jamie and Zoe are hauled into a British field office and thence to HQ (all of these settings would be echoed, eerily, decades later in Black Adder Goes Forth).


Sarah -
Ha! I was thinking the same thing!


Harry -
This is not a straightforward WWI story, however, as we see General Smythe using a video link in his private room. But before we can even wonder about that, a farcical court martial takes place, and the Doctor is dragged before a firing squad. Episode one may have been the single best episode of the entire Troughton era. It was nonstop action and danger, accusations and paranoia, and a thrilling cliffhanger. Holy wow Sarah!


Sarah -
"The War Games" are on! Honestly, I’ve seen this story before and I was still nervous about the Doctor’s fate.

Before we meet Smythe, the story could easily be a return to the Doctor Who historical, but the appearance of the video screen and Smythe’s use of his glasses to bend others to his will move us into science fiction. The blending of the two types of stories is an utter success. Terrance Dicks and Malcolm Hulke have achieved the ultimate Doctor Who mash-up.

Everyone else we meet in 1917 is so sympathetic and nice – Lady Jennifer, Carstairs, and even poor, hapless Captain Ransom. They seem to know the court martial is a sham, but aren’t sure why or what they can do about it. No one can remember how long they’ve been at the front. It’s all very troubling, until the General puts his glasses on.



Harry -
I should like a pair of specs like that.


Sarah -
They certainly would come in handy.


Harry -
This story is actually the first Patrick Troughton adventure I ever watched, back in 1997 when the Space Network was launched up here. I remember they would broadcast old Hartnell and Troughton stories at some ridiculous hour like 7:00 a.m..  Each weekday morning, I'd race down and throw on the TV all bleary eyed and trying to remember what I'd seen the morning before.


Sarah -
That sounds fabulous! It was the second Troughton story I watched, after "The Invasion". They were both so brilliant that I couldn’t wait to see more of the Second Doctor – which didn’t actually happen until we started this marathon. Still, that was probably all for the best.


Harry -
One of the great things about "The War Games" is that despite its epic length, the story moves along at just the right pace and never gets dull.


Sarah -
It really does. I know it’s often criticized for all the fight scenes. While there are a lot of them, they don’t drag the story down and add a bit of adventure.


Harry -
Each of the first five episodes gives us just enough reveal to keep us interested: Smythe's video link and hypno-specs; then his transmat device that makes TARDIS-like sounds; then the scenes of Smythe in conference with Von Wiech; and finally the appearance of the War Chief at central HQ. Each new revelation gives us a tantalyzing clue that there is something bigger going on than what we have seen so far. It's damn near perfect and the best evidence that I can give is that, unlike "The Space Pirates" where I was checking the time every two minutes, with "The War Games" I'd be stunned to find myself at minute twenty of every episode when I got around to checking.


Sarah -
They just fly by, don’t they? I had planned to watch an episode or two and, before I knew it, I’d watched the first five in one evening!


Harry -
Now, dear Sarah if you'll permit me to careen into the gutter for a moment, I want to appreciate how many hot men there are in this story so far. Jamie is amazing here. Wily and strong, willing to work together with a Redcoat, knocking men off horses and dashing to Lady Jennifer's rescue. Oh Jamie! Then there's Lieutenant Carstairs, all handsome and sensitive. Even Von Weich has a kind of nasty appeal about him. And then... there's the War Chief. Oh my goodness, where to begin. Those piercing eyes, that wild facial hair, that Elvis-like mane of hair... Smouldering. And I mean me, not him!

Oh dear, what was the question?



Sarah -
I know it’s quite the thing to be all dreamy about the cast in the current series, but viewers didn’t have as many opportunities back in the day, did they? Sure, there was always “something for the dads,” but what about the mums and uncles? Listen, BBC -- you’ve got to keep our interest, too!

For this mum, Frazer Hines is the sexiest person to ever grace the Doctor Who frame. Honestly, when he struck up a conversation with me at Chicago TARDIS, it was all I could do stay standing. I’ll save the rest of my Jamie tribute for the end of the review, but safe to say Jamie is at his hottest in The War Games.

Unfortunately, I can’t get the image of a grown-up Eddie Munster out of my head when I see the War Chief. Hope I haven’t messed with your smoldering there!



Harry -
Haha, no harm done. I shall smoulder on!


Sarah -
It may amuse you to hear that part of me wanted him to break out into a chorus of “What’s New Pussycat” while planning his next battle move. Not quite smoldering, but better than Eddie Munster.


Harry -
It occurred to me while writing some of this commentary that characters like Smythe and Von Weich are actually taking part in a Live Action Role Playing game - they are LARPers of the past! Or is that the future? Either way, nicely imagined and portrayed. Their zeal for the contest is evident.


Sarah -
I hadn’t thought of it that way, but it’s brilliant! I’ve never really understood the Civil War re-enactors, to be honest, but thinking of them as LARPers shifts it to the geekosphere, which I can understand.


Harry -
If there is one small sticking point I have with these first five episodes, it is the Doctor's use of the sonic screwdriver. I know, I know, you have years of this griping to look forward to, Sarah.


Sarah -
And I look forward to every gripe!


Harry -
Anyway, my point is, we watch the Doctor spend a good deal of time rigging up a small explosive to open the safe in Smythe's private room. Could he not have just used the sonic to spin the tumblers and open the safe? I mean, he gives the German officer a casual demonstration of the sonic – twice! – and it seemed odd to introduce it at that point in the story, when it would have been much handier before.


Sarah -
While the turning-the-screw-in-the-gun scene was riveting and all, it’s far more exciting (and visual) to blow things up…isn’t it? We can’t rely on the fight scenes to provide all the action. We need explosions!


Harry -
It's a small gripe, really, I shouldn't have even bothered. The rest of the story is totally cracking so far!


Sarah -
Absolutely. My only complaint is that it’s half over already.


Harry -
And unlike "The Space Pirates", where Jamie and Zoe were relegated to observers with little to no impact, here they are front and centre with the Doctor. So great to see.


Sarah -
The whole story is crafted to keep the TARDIS crew front and center. They each have their moments to shine. I laughed when Zoe saves the day (sort of) by smashing a vase over an officers’ head. Zoe gets to demonstrate her intelligence so often, that it’s kind of refreshing to see her get physical!

The entire production design is positively smashing. I guess it was worth sitting through the same explosion multiple times in "The Space Pirates" if it allowed for a bigger budget for "The War Games".



Harry -
Glad to see this "up and down" season ending on a high.

At the end of episode five, Jamie has walked into an ambush at central HQ. Don't tell me he's about to get shot again!



Sarah -
Poor Jamie.


Harry -
Can't wait to watch the second half. Shall we?


Sarah -
Oh, yes, let's!


Harry -
Best line: "How DARE you!" - the Doctor returns to his master-of-disguise schtick to bully the prison commandant.

Favourite moment: the electrifying moment when the Doctor and the War Chief recognize one another.

Lasting image: the Doctor and Zoe wearing that odd eyewear at central HQ.

First half rating: 9/10



Sarah -
Best Line: “Not many women take an interest in the problems of supply.” Poor Ransom has no idea how to chat up a lady, but there's so much character development in just that one line.

Favorite Moment: Jamie saving Lady Jennifer.

Lasting Image: Our heroes lined up for the Court Martial.

First half rating: 9/10







Our marathon continues with the second half of The War Games...

No comments:

Post a Comment